It’s berries season! More specifically, it’s the ideal harvesting time for blackberries, but so what right? Well, what if I told you that blackberries have a lot more nutritional benefits than what you thought it had. I’m talking about nutritional benefits that may actually improve your overall health and wellbeing. Let’s take a deeper look at why blackberries should start being incorporated into your daily diet.
1. They are FULL of FIBER!
Fiber is a non-digestible carbohydrate and it’s calorie-free! The average American typically don’t consume the daily recommended amount of fiber (Women:25g and Men:30g). High consumption of fiber can lower the risk of:
- Heart disease
1 cup of blackberries equals to about 7.6g of dietary fiber
2. They are a great* source of vitamin C
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that aids in so many different parts of our body. Sufficient consumption of vitamin C can help with:
- Iron absorption
- Prevent scurvy
- Improve the immune system
- Develop collagen (great for the skin)
- Aids in wound healing
For those, that may have low iron levels pairing a food high in iron with a fruit high in vitamin C helps your body better absorb the iron.
- For example, have a spinach (iron) and egg (iron) omelet with a side of orange juice (vitamin C).
1 cup of blackberries equals to about 30.2g of vitamin C
3. Menstrual Regulator
Blackberries are a great source of Vitamin K.
Vitamin K aids in blood clotting, which is beneficial, when you cut yourself or on your menstrual cycle.
A deficiency in vitamin K can lead to:
- Heavy menstrual periods
- Excessive bleeding for wounds and punctures
- Blood in the urine and/or stool
- Easy bruising 1 cup of blackberries equal to 28.5 micrograms of vitamin K
Different ways to incorporate blackberries in your diet include:
- In smoothies (add milk/plant-based milk or another protein supplement)
- In oatmeal/ whole-grain cereal
- On salads
- In your water
- In Greek yogurt
- In protein pancakes
- Mix it in with other fruits and make a fruit salad
Written by Kimberly Rodriguez